On this episode, Ren decides to celebrate Autism Awareness month by talking about a group that hates autistic people, but, don’t worry, that feeling is mutual.
Autism Speaks is known for the blue puzzle piece, being obsessed with curing autism, and producing films that make autism out to be the bubonic plague and the Zodiac Killer combined. Ableism: the true conspiracy theorist. Featuring the penultimate verse of Mr. Brightside, the menacing aura of the Duolingo owl, and grown men being upset about Disney World.
Self Care Plan
Hey, you should donate to organizations that actually help autistic people!
- Autistic Self Advocacy Network (ASAN) is a policy advocacy organization run by and for autistic people. We work to create changes that benefit all autistic people, and make tools our community can use to get involved in advocacy. autisticadvocacy.org
- Autistic Women & Nonbinary Network (AWN) seeks to share information which works to build acceptance and understanding of disability, while dispelling stereotypes and misinformation which perpetuate unnecessary fears surrounding an autism diagnosis. awnnetwork.org
- Self Advocates Becoming Empowered (SABE) works to ensure that people with disabilities are treated as equals and are given the same decisions, choices, rights, responsibilities, and chance to speak up to empower themselves as everyone else. sabeusa.org
- Autistic People of Color Fund provides microgrants to Black, Brown, Native, Asian, and mixed-race people in the autistic community for survival, organizing, leisure, and pleasure. awnnetwork.org/apoc
- CommunicationFIRST works to educate the public, advocate for policy reform, and engage the judicial system to advance the rights, autonomy, opportunity, and dignity of people with speech-related communication disabilities and conditions. communicationfirst.org